Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Limits of the Human Brain

1 = 0.999...
(1 equals .9 repeating)

I just read several of the really simple mathematical proofs of the above equation, and while my brain agrees with the proofs, another part of my brain seems like it is trying to disagree. It's a really weird feeling! Truly, our human brains have limits. I can't wait to visit with the Creator and share a good laugh about all the incredible mathematical puzzles He gave us to occupy our time and show us our shortcomings.

1 comment:

E.W. Rodgers said...

I do disagree. The difference between 0.99999999999(ad infinitum) and 1 is the difference between an eighth note with an infinite number of dots after it and a quarter note. Maybe I'm showing myself to be a complete musical nerd, but I remember my piano teacher telling me that, and I didn't believe him, but now it makes sense. But this just proves that an inch is an infinite length. Practically speaking, the proof is correct, but truly, it is not.