Monday, October 16, 2006

Abundant Rains on a Dry Heart

Rain finally falls on drought-striken East Texas. As I watch the waters begin to penetrate the ground, I am reminded of my heart. You see, when rain first falls on dry earth, much of it runs off into gullies or down hills. It is not until after a thorough soaking rain that the ground begins to really drink deeply and find wet satisfaction.

In the same way, after days (or sometimes weeks) of not drinking deeply from the Living Well, my heart becomes hardened. When the Word begins to fall like rain onto crusted soil, much of it runs off at first to little effect beneath the surface. It is only after continual drenching in the Word of Truth that the soil begins to absorb moisture, expand, and nourish the spiritual life that lies dormant during such dry spells.

There is one difference between what I see this afternoon and what I see when I look within. I am convicted that droughts of the heart are self-imposed; no follower of the Way need ever thirst again.

No comments: