Sunday, October 22, 2006

Is God a Hopeless Romantic?

Over at Challie's, John Eldredge's new book has come under fire for his claim that God shows romantic love to all of us (we just have to look for it). I agree largely with Tim's response. It's not that I don't think that the Lord loves us, it's that He loves us with a sacrificial, I-want-the-best-for-you love.
We don't need, nor should we expect from God, special love notes.
In Scripture, we don't see the romantic love that Eldredge dwells on whether you look at OT references to Israel being the Lord's chosen people (even with the adultery references), the few places in SOS that might be taken to be symbolic of God's relationship with us, or NT references to the Church being the bride of Christ. Romantic love is feelings-oriented, experience-driven, and temporary. God's love--as described in the NT using the word "agape"--is unconditional, active, and eternal. This is the kind of love we need, and that everyone can receive. We don't need, nor should we expect from God, special love notes.

It seems that Eldredge (and several other writers and song-writers) look at human interactions and human nature and assume that God feels and acts the same way we do. We give romantic gifts when things are going well with our relationship and we want to show that we are pleased with our mate. If God does send a heart-shaped rock to me, does that mean He is pleased with me and feels romantic? What if He doesn't send me any signs? Is He displeased? What if He sends trouble and pain? The danger with looking for signs is that "not all that glitters is gold," and signs are unpredictable. God's love is constant and sure, never-failing or relenting even when we fail Him. This kind of love makes me want to seek hard after the Lord, not supposed romantic signs from above.
I worship a Lord who showed His love in much more powerful and meaningful ways...
This brings up a key issue regarding theology (practical or otherwise) and human attempts to describe God. One cannot be too careful what metaphor one uses to illustrate the character of the Lord. As an illustration, suppose I wanted to point to God's strength and righteous indignation. I might call Him a "roaring lion," but my readers would get the wrong impression, namely, they would think of Satan. On the other hand, if I call Him "the Lion of the Tribe of Judah," then I would hit the mark.

Closing thought: When Eldredge uses the heart illustration, he denotes the mushy boyfriend-girlfriend relationship characteristic of teenage puppy love. I worship a Lord who showed His love in much more powerful and meaningful ways: He sent His Son to die for me and He prepares a place for me in the eternal Kingdom of God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your post interesting and, though, I do understand where you are coming from, I disagree a little. The relationship between Jesus and the church can be pictured as romantic considering that the Church is often referred to as the Bride in scripture. Interestingly, by using the word Bride, I feel that it gives a more romantic feeling because most couples are have the most feelings of romantic love around the time they get married and the first short while afterwards. I agree with you that God's love for us is agape love, and I am so thankful that it is. But, I also believe, that God has set desires (i.e. romance) in our hearts that He is also willing and able to meet. Yes He loves us unconditionally, but He also loves us as a friend (phileo) and as His bride. I believe that these different loves allow us to be fulfilled in every way by God alone.

PJ Sells said...

Ezekiel 16:4-14
Hosea 2:19-20