Thursday, September 07, 2006

One Book...

1. One book that changed your life. The book of James (Bible). I read this before accepting Christ as my Savior, and its hard-hitting call to holiness struck a chord.

2. One book that you have read more than once. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by Tolkien.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island. Anything with a lot of pages so I could get that first fire started without too much trouble.

4. One book that made you laugh. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader but probably only because laughter keeps me sane when I read it three times a year (three times a day) with my students. I do enjoy Lewis's subtle humor.

5. One book that made you cry. Brave New World. Although I didn't cry when I read the book, thinking about how accurate Huxley was to today's society makes me want to shed tears of sorrow.

6. One book that you wish had been written. My yet to be written story about Newgate Prison and the blessedness of persecution.

7. One book that you wish had never been written. Darwin's Origin of Species because of the consequent devaluing of human life...

8. One Book that you’re currently reading. Ivanhoe (but it's taking forever because I am looking up all the history I should have learned years ago).

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read. Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

10. One book you started to read but never finished. Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer (but not because of lack of interest but more likely lack of holiness on my part)

Now tag five people. I'd love it if you'd tag yourself and respond. Then leave a comment linking to your post...

1 comment:

AJ said...

My wife and I read Ivanhoe last year, and it's definitely a thick book. Lots of historical detail, as you say. After awhile we stopped trying to decipher the minute details and just focused on the narrative. :)